Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Primer on Foie Gras

Instead of every third stall being a foie gras vendor (like St Cyprien), at the Sarlat market, it was every other vendor!  Seriously, foie gras was starting to feel akin to a hamburger in terms of the frequency in which I saw (and ate!) it.
In the above photo, you can see multiple whole foie gras livers (foie gras entier, the most expensive kind) - the smaller ones on the left are goose livers, and the larger ones on the right are duck livers. 

The goose foie gras is more expensive and has a more delicate flavor.  The duck tastes a little stronger but I think they are both good.  We've tasted a lot of foie gras over the past few days, and I think my purchase list is now up to 7 tins (of the pure stuff, not the various mixed kinds you can also buy).  Maybe I'm getting a little carried away.

We also drove past a foie gras farm on one of our routes - I proposed a stop but my companion shuddered in horror.  We'd rather stay ignorant though the geese I saw from the road looked quite content roaming around...



No comments: