Sunday, April 4, 2010

Breakfast in New York

I'm a girl who likes her protein in the morning. I learned this the hard way when I got gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy, and had to monitor my blood sugar like a hawk. My blood sugar spikes very high in the morning with carbs, more so than any other time of the day. So now, I make sure to have protein every morning - usually involving eggs and ham.

There is no protein at the continental breakfast supplied in the Hyatt's Grand Club. There is a whole counter full of carbs. OK, there are some desultory looking cold hard boiled eggs sitting around, but really?!

My favorite breakfast is a breakfast sandwich on whole wheat english muffin. That's what I make when I'm at home. In a pinch, the breakfast ham sandwich at Starbucks also does the trick very well. That's what I had on my first morning.

On my second morning, I wandered into a local coffee place called Macchiato. I had a really nice chai tea and an excellent ciabatta roll with scrambled eggs, cheese and ham. So big I could have had the other half for lunch, had I not had other lunch plans. I was very sad to throw the other half away later in the day :(

The next couple of mornings, I remembered that I last had great breakfast sandwiches at a little place called Dishes in the Grand Central food court. I love this place. Not only did they make a mean ham and spinach muffin sandwich, they also had chocolate croissants from Balthazar! The latter for my daughter of course.

And that's what I love about breakfast in New York - some form of the breakfast sandwich is offered at practically every outlet. Fast, reasonable and gets me anchored with the protein I need!

No comments: