Monday, April 19, 2010

€5.50 for a dozen escargots - what a deal!

There was an escargot vendor at the Sunday market at St Cyprien yesterday.  I walked by once and thought to myself, pre-made escargots seem a little weird.  On the way back, I was obviously a little more hungry because I stopped to take a closer look.

The vendor had frozen escargots bourguignonne for sale - this is the classic (and my favorite) preparation, in a parsley, garlic, butter sauce.  For €5.50!  I couldn't resist and bought a pack.  The instructions seemed simple enough - bake at 180° C for 10 minutes.

After figuring out the oven, I threw in some white asparagus to roast and the escargots to bake.  And it became part of my impromptu Sunday dinner - the fresh baguette dipped into the bourguignonne sauce was a highlight.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Note to self: leave oven instructions for guests :) Such a gorgeous, lovely, fabulous French oven, but yes, different than ours for sure!

There is a good charcuterie on the main drag in St. Cyprien as well. If I buy meat, I buy it there usually.

Oh, and I love escargot too :)