Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To the beach at Hua Hin

Every year for the past 5 years or so, we've made the 2.5 hour drive out of Bangkok to Hua Hin, a beach resort popular with Thais and other locals, and a long-time retreat for the Thai royal family. I particularly like Hua Hin because it's very low key and has a very low proportion of foreign tourists - most foreigners are travelling in families and many are expatriates based somewhere in Asia.

We always stay at the Hyatt Regency resort there - it has (to quote my kids) "the best pool in the world". Now I have to admit the experience was not up to par this time (it started with being kept waiting with little explanation for 2 hrs 30 mins before our suite was ready and went downhill from there). I did let my irritation go however and we had a nice 4 days there with lots of pool time (we really don't do anything else!) and the reemergence of Shamu.


Shamu appears every summer and I am much fonder of him now that we've figured out that the pool attendants at the Hyatt can take him away and inflate him for us!