Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Our Day at Universal Studios


A few weeks before the trip, I made the tough decision to buy the special, front-of-line tickets for Universal Studios Hollywood. Now, this was no trivial decision from one who can spend hours online looking for the best travel deals. I may like my luxury but I want to get it at the lowest possible price!

The front-of-line tickets basically allows holders to by-pass the main attraction lines. It's like having a permanent Fastpass at Disneyland. The downside is that it works out to be almost double the entry price.

Since we weren't early risers and since it was the Saturday before Easter, front-of-line seemed the best way to go. I bought the tickets through Viator, an online travel agency that I've used in the past. This provided a savings of $20 over the full retail price per person.

We were given entry tickets and also a front-of-line pass on a lanyard that we were supposed to wear all day. Overall, I thought it was worth it because we could be totally lazy about how we approached the park (useful since I hadn't been there for over 15 years). Would it be worth it to others? It depends - you wouldn't need this if you planned your sequence of attractions carefully and also arrived when the park opened.

Anyway, the best rides were the new Simpsons ride (a virtual roller coaster - rode it a few times), the Mummy roller coaster (really cool, goes backwards and forwards) and the Jurassic Park ride (really old but I had never been on it). And we waited no more than a few minutes for each ride, plus had early entry into all the shows.

No comments: