Tuesday, April 28, 2009

On to the next trip!

As you may have gathered, I love to travel. Near or far. But usually far is preferable.

After the busy spring, I have a few travel-less weeks to look forward to (well, maybe I might just go cross country for an overnight to see a friend and get some miles.... haven't quite decided yet). And then we're off to Spain for a two week trip in early June.

I've never been to Spain before. After last year's banner year of new countries (Egypt, Jordan, Turkey), it looks like Spain will be the only new one for 2009. I'll have to survive somehow.

Part of the enjoyment of going to a new place for me is the joy of planning a trip to an unfamiliar destination. I also have a definitely weakness for travel books - guidebooks, memoirs, history books on the place, travel essays... you name it. For Spain, I'm up to 4 guidebooks, 1 history book, 3 travel essays, 2 children's guidebooks and 1 gourmet food guide. Plus other borrowed books including my sister's copy of Washington Irving's Tales of the Alhambra, which she purchased at the Alhambra as a souvenir.

I think I'm going to stop here and start reading some of them...

No comments: