Friday, December 12, 2008

My Trip to Nowhere

I took my very first ever mileage run on United yesterday - as I told my kids, it was my trip to nowhere. As I've blogged in the past, I'm a UA 1K Mileage Plus member and for that, they treat me pretty well. It means that I fly 100,000 miles per year (don't worry, there's lots of bonuses - I don't really fly 100k miles!) One of the biggest benefits is the 6 systemwide upgrade coupons I get, plus the other US upgrade tools.

I've taken extra trips to make my status in past years - but usually there's been some business element to them and I've always stayed for a night at my destination. This year, I paid $220 for a day of travel - SFO-ORD-RDU-IAD-SFO. I landed back in SFO about 19 hours after I left. Happily I was upgraded to First Class for all my flights.

I managed to watch two movies (Sisterhood 2, Sex In The City), read lots of magazines, do a crossword puzzle and have Starbucks in 3 different states on the same day. I also managed to confuse many friends as I updated my Facebook status from a different city every few hours!

Now my mileage account has 5,412 more miles in it and I'm 1K through 2009 as well!

2 comments:

aynrandfan said...

I love this concept! What a great way to "getaway" without having to really "do" anything. Too bad they don't have manicurists/pedicurists on flights! Now THAT would have been a perfect day!

Neeracha T. said...

LOL - you're right. That would have been the icing on the cake!