Friday, November 14, 2008

The upgrade dance and other perils of frequent flyer addiction

So I'm leaving for Bangkok in 2 days and my outbound upgrade finally came through. Since this is a personal trip, I bought the ticket in Coach and applied these nice Systemwide Upgrades that United sends me every year. Even though Business was practically empty, they were still unwilling to upgrade me for a few weeks - waiting desperately for someone to pay a revenue fare no doubt. But I can rest at ease that my 17 hour flights to Bangkok will now be in the relative luxury of UA's Business cabin. Relative is key, since UA is far inferior to most of the other airlines that fly this route. However, it is the one airline that will upgrade me at no cost!

I've been a 1K flyer in UA's Mileage Plus program for many years now - primarily because of all my business travel. And now I'm addicted to it - they treat you marginally better than the masses, they eliminate many of the ridiculous fees that they charge the masses and they give you lots of upgrade opportunities each year. The downside is that they keep raising the miles needed to get free tickets, and the availability of those free tickets seems to be unbelievably limited in all the routes I want to fly. For example, my cumulative time spent on the phone with UA over the past week trying to get award flights for Europe and Asia next summer = 3.5 hours. Success rate for said flights = 0%.

Now I just have to sweat it out a little more for the upgrade on my return flights...

No comments: