Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chinatown


We headed to Chinatown yesterday to (what else?) buy various foods for dinner. This is our typical Chinatown itinerary when I'm in town:

- beef balls from a hawker stall located down a dark alleyway. We make noodles at home and serve with the beef balls and soup provided by the vendor.

- roast pork and rice. This is the Thai version of the Chinese cha siu fan. It comes with a thick gravy that goes on the rice. My dad wanted this. I often find this dish to be a little too sweet.

- Chinese roasted chestnuts. This is a HUGE fave. Nothing beats hot chestnuts roasted in charcoal, Chinese-style. You can see the vendor frying them up in a large wok by the side of the road.

- salty plum juice. OK, this is my personal highlight. "Nam Buey" from a little storefront in Chinatown run by people who may close on any given day, depending upon their whims. This is always a gamble. I felt very lucky they were open yesterday. And my older daughter now likes this as well.

Admittedly, this is not a very adventurous itinerary - you'd have to get my dad's typical route to truly get some adventurous food!

No comments: