Thursday, July 19, 2007

Shibuya, Hands and Loft

I had a spare 90 mins before I needed to take the Airport Limousine bus to Narita for my flight, and never one to miss an opportunity to wander around, I buzzed over to Shibuya for a quick tour.

Why Shibuya? Because it's the site of the huge, often photographed intersection teeming with masses of people (the Tokyo equivalent of Times Square if you will), and because 2 of my favorite stores are located there - Tokyu Hands and Seibu Loft. I emerged from the Metro station to a cacophony of Japanese rap, huge flashing billboards everywhere and the biggest Harry Potter movie poster I have ever seen. Other than the usual set of people waiting to meet their friends at the Hachiko statue, it was all relatively calm because it was still early in the day.

I took a quick photo of the ideally located 2 story Starbucks, with upstairs seating with a fabulous view of the whole intersection. But no time to stop, I was on a mission.

I walked over to Tokyu Hands, arriving just as the store was opening. It was quite the experience to walk into the store and walk through a gauntlet of store employees, all of whom are bowing and wishing you a good morning.

Tokyu Hands is billed as a "Creative Life Store" - it has hobby and craft items, home improvement stuff and just a whole lot of other random but very fun things. I spent an inordinate time on the various floors devoted to stationery alone - presentation is such an important part of the culture here, and stationery (as well as housewares) is a perfect representation.

I didn't really have time to do justice to Loft (although the displays looked a lot more appealing there than at Hands) before I had to head back to catch my airport bus. When it left the hotel, 8 hotel employees stood in a line and waved us away :)

All in all, a very short, but satisfying sojourn in Tokyo.

Final note - for the first time in 15+ years, they searched my bag at Customs coming back into the US. I attribute it to the grumpy DHS immigration agent who actually asked me what my SSN was. A definite first!

No comments: