Friday, June 24, 2011

Prepping For A Big Trip

Long time no blog! My fundamental problem is that I am working 60-70 hours a week on a regular basis with work dinners 1-2 nights a week, and I can barely keep my life together. Blogging has fallen to the bottom of the list of priorities, most unfortunately.

But we are now a week away from departing the US for 5 weeks, and I now need to focus on all the last minute details for the trip. Here's my to-do list for the next 7 days:

- check to see if I really do need an International Driver's Permit to drive in Italy. Hertz says I don't need it for the rental but the carbinieri may not be so agreeable if something untoward happens.

- if said IDP is needed, figure out when to go to AAA to get one.

- call Lufthansa to make sure seat assignments haven’t been screwed up.

- go through all the guidebooks I've purchased over the past 6 months and figure out which ones are actually worth bringing.

- figure out to pack for Rome, Verona, Bangkok, work meetings, potential beach holiday within a reasonable amount of luggage. The clothes are challenging enough, but it's the shoes that require some deep analysis!

- clear my work to-dos so nothing falls apart when I am out of touch for two weeks.

- what else do I need to pick up from Target this weekend?!

- make sure bills and other adult stuff are taken care of.

- book car pick up at Rome airport.

- locate all electronic travel necessities (Int'l adapters, chargers, video projection cables, camera accessories etc.)

Thank goodness I already ordered all the euros I needed from Wells Fargo (super easy by the way) since we need to pay for our apartment in cash when we show up.

Phew, I have a lot to do.

2 comments:

Leslie M said...

Welcome back! I was wondering if you'd blog this trip. I don't think I will be -- I'm prepping random blog posts in advance.

Sara said...

Yay! I've missed your blog posts (I live vicariously) and am excited to get a preview into what our week will be like there! Let me know if you need us to bring anything to you.