Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quiet Moments of Pleasure

Occasionally I experience these quiet moments of contentment and happiness - it happens when I'm warm, well-fed and usually on my own somewhere in public. I can relax and reflect, and realize how grateful I am for all that I have. I felt it yesterday when I had afternoon tea at the Shelbourne. And I had that moment today at Leon.


As I've mentioned, it's wet here in Dublin today. Really wet. I think I may have ruined my favorite Tod's mules from tromping around on cobblestones in the rain today. I entered Leon feeling like a bedraggled wet rat, trailing water from my umbrella in my wake. The bottom two inches of my pants were soaked through and clinging unpleasantly to my ankles.


I was shown to a little table next to a warm crackling fire - a real fire, not an artificial one. I started warming up and my wet feet were forgotten. I ordered some Earl Grey and a lemon meringue tart. I didn't take a photo before I attacked my pastry, but here's the post-frenzy carnage.



Here's a photo I took of the rest of the lemon meringues left in their display case.

Ah, thank goodness for those moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember those times too when you're a little cold and need some tea and to warm up in front of the fireplace. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

your food descriptions have put 10 lbs on me! Yum..I love scones and clotted cream so I am SO jealous..will check in again to see what you have been up to in wonderful Dublin...

Gwen