Sunday, April 13, 2008

Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople...

I landed at Atuturk International Airport late last night and am now in Turkey - my third new country for the year. It's been a good year already!

I love the anticipation of arriving in a totally new place, especially a brand new country. I love breathing in the air, looking at all the signs, listening to the locals chatter in a strange language. And getting local currency in the ATM - I like looking at different money!

My driver from the hotel, Sirkeci Konak, was waiting for me with a huge sign. He seemed a little surprised that I was female (happens a lot!). I realized Turkey was a very different type of Muslim country (from Egypt and Jordan) when the car radio started playing the Pussycat Dolls' "Don'tcha".

The hotel is located in the heart of the old district of Istanbul, Sultanahmet and we drove by the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and other landmarks on the way to the hotel. They were beautifully lit up at night. I can't wait to go exploring!

No comments: