Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Working with a Travel Agent

So who uses travel agents these days?! Most people I know tend to conduct research on the internet and do their bookings directly with airlines and hotels, using the hotel concierge for additional touring needs when they reach their destination.

I can't recall the last time I worked with a travel agent on a big trip like this. Actually the last time may have been a big DisneyWorld trip that involved a Disney Cruise and an add-on stay at Cocoa Beach to visit Cape Canaveral.

I have done much less travel planning than usual, and only have 1 guidebook that I purchased (which is a record low for me, especially with my addiction to travel books). Now I've balanced that with multiple books by Naguib Mahfouz (the Nobel Prize-winning Egyptian author), various kids' books on Ancient Egypt (Ms. Frizzle being the current favorite) and other history books on the region. Plus an Egyptian Arabic phrase book for good measure.

The reason we went with a travel agent is due to our total unfamiliarity with the region, and our need to cover a lot of ground in a relatively short amount of time. I could see doing the same thing when we finally get that safari scheduled....

No comments: